It’s said that humans have an amazing capacity to forget pain. Well so it is that month two WITHOUT braces has just flown by. 😉
A few notes to share as I reflect on the past month:
- Teeth feel: A reader asked how my teeth feel. Are they still loose? Do they hurt? Do I feel the settling? That’s a great question; they don’t feel loose to me at all. So I guess they are settling in. I do notice that the longer I forget to wear my retainers, the tighter the retainer feels when I put it on. Which means that my teeth are moving a tiny bit, though imperceptible to me.
- Chewing: I STILL notice that sometimes I’m not chewing enough, and just kind of mushing-then-swallowing, as I’d done for an year. Much better for my health/digestion if I chew. Gotta pay attention.
- Wearing the retainers during the day: I’m still not wearing them as much as I should; I can tell when it’s tight to put on, especially the top clear one, which is very snug. The bad thing is that if it is a tight fit, it is very difficult to take off. So it’s important to be prepared to leave it on for a while, otherwise the process of pulling off a tightly-fitting clear retainer can be extremely frustrating.
- Wearing the retainers at night: Fortunately, I have worn them EVERY night. Never forgotten them, though a couple of times I almost did but caught myself because I could tell something was missing.
- Cleaning retainers: Will find out from doctor whether I’m doing this well. It’s a pain. But important to do. I figure I’m doing a good enough job.