I have to admit that I am probably not cleaning my retainers as well as I should. A bit of guilt here. So they have some plaque build-up. I have an appointment will my ortho next week, so I’ll get the scoop.
In the meantime, this is what I do:
- Try to rinse them each time I take them out. Sometimes not possible if I’m not near a restroom when I take them out (to eat).
- Clean the bottom wire retainer by brushing with my toothbrush and toothpaste, at least once a day.
- Clean the top clear retainer by lightly brushing with my toothbrush–no toothpaste–, or using soap and my fingers, at least once a day.
- Every 2-3 weeks, soak the retainers for 30 minutes with a Retainer Brite tablet that I got from my ortho office. This seems to work, but hasn’t taken all the deposits off.
- I’m considering getting a sonic cleaner, but not sure yet if it’s worth it.
The places that are hardest to clean are the nooks and crannies at the very bottom of the clear retainer. My brush can’t reach; I’ve tried squeezing in a cotton swab, but that doesn’t quite do it either.