I asked my dentist about teeth whitening. Here’s what I learned:
- She offers Rembrandt Sapphire whitening.
- It’s a 90-minute or so process; 1 hour of actual whitening action.
- She says it’s the best process; low level of discomfort during and after. They cover the gums to protect from the gel.
- You get some gel or something afterward to touch up; and “if you follow my directions” the teeth should remain nice and white. She was a bit mysterious about what that gel is, but it’s from Rembrandt, so I’m assuming you can by over the counter.
- Cost: $500 (reference point: the machine cost her $5000, so after 10 patients, it’s all profit!)
- For over-the-counter self-whitening, she said Crest Whitestrips work the best.
Online I found:
- Pretty thorough description of teeth whitening, including review of systems.
- Some dramatic photos of the results.
Conclusion for myself:
- My teeth were about a 4 or 5 on the 10-tooth color scale; so not super white nor super stained.
- I can live with this; not ready to put down $500 for the service.
- However, I’m curious about the Crest Whitestrips, so will try out. A couple of my teeth in particular are darker than the others. Will report back on this, of course.
- Also, I’m using my Sonicare and that claims to help with stains, too. At least it will help offset my tea-drinking habit, I hope.
Any of you out there had experience with teeth whitening? Or planning on doing post-braces?